Green smoothies are just as good as green juice. The bonus: They aren’t as strong and you don’t have to worry about your body detoxifying as rapidly as with green juice. Another bonus: If you make them the right way, you’ll have no idea that you included greens in your smoothie. It’s a bit harder to hide them in juice….but you can always disguise them nicely in a smoothie!
What is a green smoothie?
It’s a blended drink that includes fruit and greens. Sometimes liquid (like water, nut milk or juice) and sweeteners (agave syrup, honey or stevia) are added.
What’s the difference between a green smoothie and green juice?
Green juice has all of the fiber extracted out so you are left with only juice- no fiber. This makes it very easy for your body to assimilate since it doesn’t have to go through the same digestive process as food. Smoothies are blended greens. It contains all the fiber and juice.
How do you make a green smoothie?
You simply take the recipe and place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Simple, nutritious and quick! The best blender to use for a smoothie is a high powered blender like the Vitamix. It is so powerful that it will break apart the cells very effectively so that your body can assimilate the nutrients better.
Reasons why green smoothies are good for you
Besides for the fact that you are getting so much more raw greens into your diet that you normally wouldn’t, greens do amazing things for the body.
They are extremely cleansing. They contain chlorophyll which is nearly identical to the hemoglobin molecule in the blood. This means it will build a high blood count in your blood. If you have a high blood count, it means more oxygen can be delivered to the tissues to help with cellular respiration. Greens (in juices and when eaten raw) help to control calcium in the blood, are high in potassium and has a bit of copper and zinc. It also feeds the good bacteria in your body, and cleanses the bowel.
Now, that’s why it gives you great energy….and promotes healing….if that isn’t enough for you to start a green smoothie or green juice regimen, I don’t know what is!
Learn more about leafy greens
I love having these for breakfast for 5 reasons:
1) What a great thing it is to start your day with a breakfast that healthy and makes you feel great. It’s very good for your body to have something as light and good for you- an fruit is easily digestible and one of the best things you can have for breakfast.
2) Green smoothies are a low cal breakfast that keeps you full for quite a while and really can help you manage your weight.
3) I don’t eat as many greens as I should. I’m only a huge fan of lettuce, broccoli and parsley. I could do without kale and spinach. If I have it in the beginning of the day I’m thrilled that I know I’m getting the green in my diet, and don’t have to worry about eating them for dinner.
4) It gives me energy. There is something magical about greens….they boost your energy. I actually, miraculously, didn’t need my morning tea as soon as I started my green smoothies for breakfast. Green juice will do the same thing, but I wanted something heavier for breakfast so smoothies were my answer.
5) Green smoothies are RAW just like juice! They are uncooked and you are getting the most out of each fruit and veggie. I would never eat as much kale and spinach as I do now that I include them in smoothies. I’m obsessed with having at least one each day.
Making your own smoothies…
I’ve provided some recipes below, but you can easily make your own if you know a few basic rules.
Don’t be afraid to try new things in your recipes. Most times, it will turn out great or can be salvaged by adding more fruit or juice.
Green Smoothies Recipes
These recipes generally make about 2 glasses. I save the leftovers for a snack or give the other glass to my husband.Tip: If you like it more watery, add water. If you like it really thick, omit most of the water.
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Spinach Orange Juice Not rated yet
I use my Blendtec which is comparable to the Vitamix. Ingredients: One quarter cup of water in blender One peeled orange One cup of ice Fresh …
New To Juicing And Green Smoothies Not rated yet
Wow! I am so inspired by your site, this is my second comment today! I have been doing healthy fruit smoothies (without processed juices, just whole fruits, …
Adding Protein To Green Smoothies Not rated yet
Q: Is it ok to use whey protein in my green smoothies, or should I be using something vegan, like pea protein? A: Hi Vinnie! Absolutely, its …
The Vitamix will chop through the cell walls of fruits and vegetables to provide the most nutritious drinks.
We’re completely crazy
Sherri & John, Florida
This is the best site ever.
Seth, Vancouver, Canada
I've recently lost 10 pounds by using the weekend weight loss plan.
Jan G, New Mexico
I have no questions.
You’re site is full of great information.
I enjoy your newsletters;
Join Thousands of Juicy Followers
Get Your Copy Now
Get a Rockin' body, rosy complexion and live a longer, healthier life
Most Popular Posts
Hippest, Hottest & Recommended
The Best Blender in the Juicy World