Wheatgrass shots and how to supplement with wheatgrass juice.
What are wheatgrass shots?
It is the pressed juice of wheatgrass. It’s best to take wheatgrass in juice form, as when it is fresh all the nutrients are present and most potent. The reason that they are taken in shot form is because it is so concentrated and quite potent. A shot is all you need to heal and to get a boost of energy.
How to supplement with wheatgrass shots
While there are varying opinions on how much wheatgrass to take, in
the end, it’s not worth stressing over. As long as you’re taking it,
you are doing so much good for your body. Here is a general guide to supplementing with wheatgrass shots.
ounces on an empty stomach, each day. A typical wheatgrass shot varies
between 1-2 ounces. Many shots at local juice bars are less than an
- While healing, 2-4 ounces three to four times a day
Tips on how to supplement with wheatgrass
- Start out taking a small dose (approx 1 oz) and work your way up to 2-4 ounces a day. If you are just taking it to supplement your diet, 1-2 oz a day is sufficient. If you have a health issue you are trying to clear up and want wheatgrass to support your body with healing, take at least 2 oz 2x a day. Because wheatgrass shots are concentrated nutrients, it will assist your body to heal and operate properly. When too much is taken, your body starts to take in the nutrients and may detoxify rapidly. If you feel nauseous or sick, it means you should take less. Some people want to go full force but this is not necessary. While taking a lot over a short period of time will NOT harm the body, you’ll just experience detoxifying effects that might be uncomfortable. It’s just a sign your body is doing what it should be doing, so no worries. Just take less next time and slow it down a little. Overall, you’ll find that wheatgrass will clean, heal and give you energy. If you start slow and work your way up to a desired supplementation regimen, you’ll be pleased with your results.
- Morning is the best time to take wheatgrass as your stomach is empty and ready to absorb the nutrients more easily.
- If you need a pick-me-up later in the day, a small 1oz dose can be a great energy booster.
- Generally speaking, the older you are the more nutrition and wheatgrass you’ll need while supplementing. While a 20 year old could take only 1oz, a 65 yr old might need to take 2oz, but each person is different so you’ll need to become intuitive to your body’s needs.
- Mixing wheatgrass in juice or smoothies is a good way to hide the flavor if you don’t care for it. I personally mix a 1oz frozen cube in a smoothie each morning and don’t taste a bit of it!
Wheatgrass + Juice Recipes
While the most popular way to drink wheatgrass is by itself in a wheatgrass shots, it’s also nice to add it to one of your favorite juice recipes. These are some that the wheatgrass juice blends well with, so give these a try if you want something a bit different.
Pineapple ¼ pineapple (or a few rings) and 2oz of wheatgrass
Apple Mint 3 apples, a sprig of mint, and 1oz of wheatgrass
Apple Celery 3 apples, 2 stalks of celery and 1 oz of wheatgrass
Beet Cucumber ½ cucumber, ½ beet, 1oz of wheatgrass juice
Carrot Celery 3 carrots, 2 stalks of celery, 2 sprigs of parsley, 1 oz of wheatgrass
Wheatgrass smoothie recipes
You can take any smoothie and mix 1-2 ounces of juice in the blender.
Go here for smoothies recipes to use wheatgrass shots
Here are my favorites:
2 frozen bananas
A small handful of spinach
1 tablespoon of honey
1 tsp of vanilla
½ cup of water
1 oz of wheatgrass
Place all of these ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Drink immediately.
½ cup of blueberries
½ cup of raspberries
½ cup of ice
1 tablespoon of honey or agave, if desired
1 oz of wheatgrass
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Drink immediately.
How to grow wheatgrass
Other uses (baths, enemas, cuts, boils)
Wheatgrass for your pets
The amazing benefits of grass
Return from Wheatgrass Shots to About Wheatgrass